Chandigarh is the “City Beautiful” that contains instances of both Punjab and beautifully planned township. Nestled at the foothills of serene Shivalik hills, this combined capital of Haryana & Punjab offers numerous getaways to break the monotony. There are various amazing places around Chandigarh which can be visited under a budget of Rs. 4000.
So here are 12 road trips from Chandigarh which you can plan with your friends, family or someone special.
- Morni – Situated amidst serene Shivalik hills, Morni is the only hill retreat in Haryana. This less travelled destination is blessed with undiscovered lands, beautiful lakes, rich flora and fauna. The weather is pleasant especially during spring and autumn season. At 48 kms, Morni is an unexplored beauty of nature and thus a perfect place to visit from Chandigarh under minimal budget.
- Agroha – Agroha lies in the Hisar district of Haryana and was the capital of their founder Maharaja Agrasen about 3000 years back. This ancient town is dotted with various historical structures. Some old coins and seals, pot-shards etc, have been found by the Archaeological Survey of India at Agroha. Located at 381 kms from Chandigarh, The Agroha Mound (locally known as ‘Ther’), is about 1.5 km away from the present Agroha village. If you are a history lover, then plan a small road trip from Chandigarh to Agroha.
- Naddi – Located in the beautiful Kangra district, Naddi is a quaint village with snow-peaked Dhauladhars in the background. This untouched hill retreat is a perfect place to unwind amidst nature’s lap. At an altitude of 2000 m, Naddi view point offers utmost peace and breathtaking vistas of majestic Dhauladhar range. Naddi village is adorned with beautiful waterfalls, lakes, and also acts as a starting point for Triund and Kareri Lake trek. Located at 252 kms, this super-awesome destination can be chosen for a memorable road trip from Chandigarh.
- Narkanda – Situated away from the bustling streets of Shimla, Narkanda is all what you need for a perfect getaway. Surrounded by lofty hills and thick forests, this hill retreat is known because of its apple orchards and surreal environment. Looking for some adventure? Then trek to Hatu Peak for an offbeat experience. Situated at 173 kms, a road trip from Chandigarh to Narkanda will be easy on your pocket.
- Bir – Bir is highly revered for its thrilling paragliding activities. This quaint hill treat lies in the Kangra district of Himachal Pradesh and a home to large Buddhist Community. With mighty Dhauladhar ranges in the background, Bir is dotted with numerous cafes, colorful Tibetan monasteries and blissful surroundings. Camping in Billing is a perfect place to enjoy the beauty of nature and rejuvenate. Plan a pocket-friendly road trip to Bir from Chandigarh, located at 287 kms, for a much-needed break.
JAMMU & KASHMIR
- Doda – Doda is a small hamlet in the heavenly beautiful state of Jammu & Kashmir. Nestled at an elevation of 1,107 metres, this place has been named after Deeda, a migrant and an utensil maker from the city of Multan (now a part of Pakistan). Blessed with captivating landscapes, dense forests, and rich biodiversity, Doda is suitable for nature walks, trekking and rock climbing activities. So plan a road trip to this hidden hamlet with your family or friends, located at 480 kms from Chandigarh.
- Katra – Mainly known as the abode of Goddess Vaishno Devi, Katra is a holy town in the foothills of Trikuta Mountains, lies at 388 kms from Chandigarh. Situated at an altitude of 754 m, this beautiful small town is adorned with various sacred temples and tasty food joints. The main bazar in Kata offers unlimited options for shopping, buying dry fruits which are the speciality of this state, woolen cloths/shawls, etc. If you want to seek tranquility under budget, then take a leisurely trip to Katra.
- Sattal – Located at a distance of 494 kms from Chandigarh, Sattal is a peaceful place in Uttarakhand. Surrounded by lush green oak & pine forest, this hill station is a cluster of captivating lakes which makes it a perfect destination to rejuvenate. Plan a pocket-friendly trip to Sattal situated in the outskirts of Nainital and feel the charm of natural flora and fauna.
- Bikaner – Bikaner is a popular destination in Rajasthan that lies in the middle of Thar desert. Situated at 553 kms from Chandigarh, it is a city of forts and palaces. Widely famous for its sweets and snacks, Bikaner offers you delicacies such as Thandai and spicy Bikaneri Bhujiyas. The traditional architecture takes you back in history. Get mesmerized by the rich traditional art and craft of Bikaner. Choose this Rajasthani city for a budgeted trip around Chandigarh.
- Bhangarh – Infamous all over India for being the “Most haunted place”, Bhangarh lies at 534 kms from Chandigarh. Located in Alwar district of Rajasthan, this completely ruined and haunted fort of Bhangarh is not allowed to visit at night due to the paranormal happenings inside. There are various haunted stories associated with this cursed fort. Plan a thrilling road trip to Bhangarh with your friends.
Looking for some more destinations near Chandigarh? Checkout the road trips you can plan under Rs.4000.