Sikkim is often known as ‘Traveler’s Paradise’ but have you ever thought why so? Well there is a long list of Adventure Activities that you can do in Sikkim from smashing river Rafting to mighty Mountains which you can trek to, to unforgettable Caves, it encompasses all beauty on Earth.
Also, Sikkim has over 5000 flowering species out of which magnolia, blue poppies, orchids, rhododendron and camellias are some of the very famous ones.
In 5000 species, Orchids alone have 600 types of species in Sikkim. Coming to Fauna Sikkim is a home to a variety of animals. The Musk Deer, the Barking Deer, Himalayan Black Bear, Red Panda, Snow Leopard, snow cock, golden eagles and robins are commonly found here.
Sikkim, a state in the northeastern part of India surrounded by Bhutan to the southwest, Tibet to the north and northeast and Nepal to the west and by West Bengal in the south.
Whenever we talk about Adventure the places that first pops into our minds are Himachal Pradesh and Uttarakhand (Land-based) and Goa for Water-based activities. Hardly we connect with other places that, too can cater to adventure activities.
So, here I am going to list the Top 10 Adventure activities that you can do on your next trip to Sikkim.to Sikkim.
1- Mountaineering in Sikkim–
If you’re looking spot for mountaineering other than in Himachal and Uttarakhand then Sikkim is next window to Himalayas. Lets see some of the major peaks for mountaineering in Sikkim.
- Where to do-
- Frey Peak (5830m)
- Brumkhangse (5635m)
- Mt Jopuno (5603m)
- Mt Lama Wangden (5868m)
- Goecha La (4940m)
- Kanchenjunga Base Camp (8586m)
- Best time to do- May to October
- Difficulty level- Tough
2- Rafting in Sikkim-
Challenging water of Teesta and Rangeet will add fizz in your Adventure Trip in Sikkim. The crystal clear water of the river makes it perfect for White Water River Rafting in Sikkim. Teesta River is ranked at Grade 4 on an international scale having a maximum stretch of approx 37 km.
- Where to do- River Rangeet and River Teesta.
- Best time to do- March to May
- Difficulty level- Moderate to Tough depending upon the rapids. At the above mentioned time, rapids of the River is Ideal for Rafting.
3- Paragliding in Sikkim-
This adventure sport in Sikkim is one of the best ways to delight yourself. Paragliding in Sikkim will let you have a birds-eye view of the Kanchenjunga Mountains. This experience of yours will be the best out of all.
- Where to do- Baliman Dara (Resithang Village) and Bulbuley Dara
- Best time to do- March to June and September to November
- Difficulty level- Moderate (shorter duration at height of 1300-1400 m) to Tough (longer duration above 1500 m)
4- Trekking in Sikkim-
It has been the all time favorite adventure sport in Mountains. Sikkim has some of the best trekking trail kept as ‘Secrets of Himalayas’. Whether you’re a nature lover or not the scenic beauty of the trails will definitely revitalize your soul.
- Where to do-
- Goecha La trek
- Kanchenjunga Base Camp Trek
- Tosar Lake Trek
- Dzongri Trek
- Best time to do-
April to June and September to October – Goecha La Trek
March to June and September to October – Kanchenjunga base camp Trek and Dzongri Trek.
April to May and October to December – Sandakphu and Tosar Lake Trek
- Difficulty level
- Tough- Kanchenjunga Base Camp
- Moderate to Tough- Goecha La Trek and Dzongri Trek
- Moderate- Sandakphu and Tosar Lake Trek
5– Bungee Jumping in Sikkim –
This is one of the most famous adventure sport. That sinking stomach smashing against gusty winds Bungee Jumping in Sikkim gives the real thrill to the seeker, jumping from a height of 328 ft.
- Where to do – The Singshore Bridge (mid-way to Uttarey from Denta)
- Best time to do – throughout the year 6am to 6pm.
- Difficulty level- Depend upon your physical fitness, mental strength, height of the spot and the type of jump.
6- Hang Gliding in Sikkim-
If you’re up for flying like a bird to have a view of the picturesque landscape of Sikkim then this is for you. This might not be as popular as other adventure activities in Sikkim but definitely the one which can give a chance to witness the breathtaking mountains ranges from the blue sky.
- Where to do- Jorethang near Gangtok (with prior permissions from Sikkim government)
- Best time to do- mid May to mid June and from September to mid October.
- Difficulty level- Tough, as to change the direction of the glider you need to use your body weight which might become tough at such height.
7- Mountain Biking in Sikkim-
This is one of the most sought adventure activities in Sikkim. Sikkim is becoming the new hot-spot for mountain biking. There are a lot of beautiful routes for mountain biking covering major sightseeing areas in Sikkim.
- Where to do- Gangtok- Rumtek- Sang- Sirwani- Temi- Damthang- Rabong- Kewzing- Tashiding- Yusum- Pelling- Dentam- Rinchenpong- Soreng- Sombaria- Jorthang- Namchi- Rangpo.
Rangpo- Rhenock- Rongli- Barapathing- Pakyong-Ranipool-Gangtok-Rumtek-Sang- Temi-Ravang-Tashiding-Pelling-Khechopali Lake-Yuksom-Rabong-Dikchu-Mangan-Lachung-Yumthang and back.
- Best time to do- September to November
- Difficulty level- Easy to Moderate
8- Caving in Sikkim –
This quirky adventure might not be in everybody’s list but who has it is definitely the true explorer. This is a newly added adventure in Sikkim. The caves in Sikkim hold religious values so-termed as Holy Caves.
- Where to do- North Lha-Ri-Nying Phu, holiest cave.
- Best time to do- October to December
- Difficulty level– Moderate
9- Cable Car Ride in Sikkim-
Thirsty for the spectacular view from heights but then not into an adventure so much, this pretty soft adventure can quench your thirst. The cable car ride in Sikkim is the most common activity taken up by tourists.
- Where to do-
- Gangtok ropeway
- Namchi ropeway
- Best time to do- Throughout the year 9am to 5pm.
- Difficulty level – Easy
10- Yak Riding in Sikkim-
This is the famous and the oldest, form of adventure activity in almost every hilly region opted by tourists. Yaks are so beautifully dressed, those woolen wear with bells hanging around their neck wild horns covered with colorful pieces of cloth depicts nothing but the love.
- Where to do- Tsomgo Lake and Dzongri
- Best time to do- November to January
- Difficulty level – Easy
So above are the Top 10 Adventure Activities that you can on your next trip to Sikkim. Don’t forget to keep in mind the necessary gears or equipments that are required to perform the activity.
You should also read :
- Top 10 Places to Visit in Sikkim
- Things to know before Planning Sikkim Trip
- 20 Best Places to Visit in Himachal Pradesh
Contributed By – Shiza