“It’s better to see something once than to hear about it a thousand times.”
This famous saying is truly valid for Himalayas and its enchanting beauty. Blessed with nature’s bounty, Himachal Pradesh is a paradise for every type of traveller. This North Indian state is home to numerous glacial lakes situated at high altitude. Situated at different regions, these beautiful lakes are highly revered by the locals and therefore makes Himachal Pradesh – the land of Gods.
These high altitude lakes amidst Himalayas can be trekked for an extraordinary experience and adrenaline rush. So, if you are a mountain or nature lover and want to escape the hullabaloos of city life then visit these glacial lakes in Himachal Pradesh listed below.
Here we go!
- Bhrigu Lake (14100 ft): Providing a captivating view of Dhauladhars and Pir-Panjal ranges, Bhrigu Lake is considered very scared by the locals of Kullu. This high altitude lake trek begins from Gulaba in Manali and passes over lush meadows, rugged trail and water streams. One of the main highlight of Bhrigu Lake trek is its changing landscapes. It is believed that Sage Bhrigu meditated here and many Gods of Kullu valley have dipped here.
Trekking Distance: 12 kms
- Suraj Tal (16240 ft): Being India’s 3rd highest lake, Suraj Tal is located close to Chandratal in Lahaul Valley. Dedicated to the Sun God, this high altitude lake is the source of River Bhaga (a tributary of River Chenab). Nestled below Baralacha Pass, Surajtal is an ideal place for trekking and camping amidst wilderness.
Trekking Distance: 8 kms
- Beas Kund (11975 ft): Beas or Vyas Kund is situated away from the hubbub of Manali in Solang region. This high altitude lake trek will take you to the origin of pristine Beas River. Decorated with enchanting views of Pir-Panjal peaks and lush green meadows, Beas Kund offers a scenic delight. It is believed Sage Vyas (author of the Mahabharata) took his daily bath in this lake. This trek is suitable for all age groups and can be done easily by a beginner as well.
Trekking Distance: 14 kms
- Manimahesh Lake (13390 ft): Dedicated to Lord Shiv, the sacred lake of Manimahesh is nestled amidst Pir Panjal ranges of the mighty Himalayas. According to Hindu Mythology, Lord Shiv performed penance here for about a 100 years. The trekking trail begins from Hadsar Village and offers fabulous picturesque views. Devotees visit this high altitude lake in Chamba district to seek blessings from the Lord mostly during the months of August and September.
Trekking Distance: 14 kms
- Saryolsar Lake (10250 ft): Saryolsar Lake is a less-visited Himalayan lake that can be visited from Jalori Pass. Blessed with lush greenery and towering coniferous trees, this high altitude trek will make you feel rejuvenated. Situated amidst utmost tranquility, trek to Saryolsar Lake passes through dense forest and is truly a beautiful gem in Kullu Valley.
Trekking Distance: 3-4 kms
- Nako Lake (12015 ft): Lies in Kinnaur district of Himachal Pradesh, Nako lake is stunning high altitude lake where you can spend some quality time amidst serenity. This pristine lake will mesmerize you with its stunning surroundings and gorgeous looking mountains. A short hike uphill gives you the enthralling view of the Nakko village and the beautiful lake. Give a visit to this lake enroute Kaza (Spiti Valley).
Trekking Distance: 2-3 kms
So, just pack your bags and plan to visit any of the above mentioned high altitude lake in Himachal Pradesh. We are sure that these mythical lakes will provide you a quiet retreat in the lap of Himalayas.
Checkout our upcoming trips curated keeping you in our mind.
Contributed By: Sahil Singh