Set in the foothills of beautiful Shivalik range, Chandigarh is unlike other chaotic Indian city. Clean roads and well-developed living pattern makes Chandigarh India’s cleanest city. Looking for an escape from the urban madness? There is a plethora of destinations around Chandigarh to visit on weekends with your closed ones to chill and spend leisure time.
Here’s the list of 7 best weekend getaways from Chandigarh which can be easily planned out.
- Kasauli – Kasauli is a quaint hill station cradled in the lap of serene hills. This small hill town has a strong influence of colonial period on its architecture. A small walk amidst towering pine and oak trees that too in utmost tranquility; is just perfect to relax and rejuvenate. Set in the quiet surrounding, Kasauli is indeed one of the best destination for a weekend getaway near Chandigarh.
Distance from Chandigarh: 54 kms
- Naina Devi – Located on a hilltop in the north of Ropar, Naina Devi is worshiped and visited with full faith not only by the people living in Chandigarh but also from other parts of North India. The temple is counted as one of the 51 shakti peethas of Mother Goddess. From the hilltop one can see the beautiful Gobind Sagar Lake. The sacred shrine is actively visited by newly wed couples. Formerly known as Rupar, Naina Devi Temple is one of the major attractions in this region. Seek the blessings from the divine Mother by planning a weekend getaway from Chandigarh.
Distance from Chandigarh: 107 kms
- Amritsar – A trip to Amritsar is incomplete without visiting the popular Harmandir Sahib Gurdwara (Golden Temple). This Sikh pilgrimage site is considered very sacred. Amritsar is deeply associated with Indian history that can be seen at the famous massacre ground called Jallianwala Bagh. Treat your stomach with the delicious Amritsari Kulcha by planning a weekend getaway from Chandigarh with your closed ones.
Distance from Chandigarh: 227 kms
- Churdhar Peak Trek – Churdhar is the highest peak of outer Himalayas known as Shivalik range. Surrounded with forest sanctuary, the trek to Churdhar Peak begins from Solan district in Himachal Pradesh and less known to people. Also, very few know that it is from here George Everest made his astronomical reading of Himalayan Mountains. The trail passes through dense deodar trees, over lush green meadows and finally reaches the hilltop that offers captivating vistas of Himalayas. Plan an adventurous weekend getaway to Churdhar in the vicinity of Chandigarh.
Distance from Chandigarh: 137 kms
- Corbett National Park – Looking for a great fun and daring excursion over a weekend? Head to Corbett National Park in Uttarakhand. It is the oldest wildlife reserve in India and especially visited by wildlife and photography lovers. The National Park comprises amazing wildlife species that can be seen by jungle safari. Rich in flora and fauna, Jim Corbett is widely known for its Bengal tigers, leopards and wild elephants.
Distance from Chandigarh: 354 kms
- Mandawa – Mandawa is a beautiful town in Rajasthan known for its colorful havelis and forts. This weekend destination from Chandigarh became popular after the release of hit Bollywood movie PK in 2014. A trip to Mandawa will give you a close insight into the Rajasthani culture and art. Some of the major attractions one must visit in Mandawa are Hanuman Prasad Goenka Haveli, Mohan Lal Saraf Haveli and Aakharam Ka Haveli to name a few.
Distance from Chandigarh: 420 kms
- Jammu – Jammu is known as the ‘city of temples’ and the winter capital of Jammu & Kashmir state. Nestled in the lap of serene hills, the quaint city is adorned with forest cover, palaces and river valleys. The majestic Raghunath Temple in Jammu is one of the finest works of architecture. For adventure enthusiasts, Patnitop is an ideal place for trekking and aero-sports, situated near Jammu. Blessed with the calmness of Ravi, Chenab & Tawi Rivers, Jammu is a place with scenic beauty and perfect for weekend getaway from near Chandigarh.
Distance from Chandigarh: 342 kms
Looking for some more weekend getaways from Chandigarh? Checkout the destination for your next trip here.